First United Methodist Church of College Station has a rich history and a great heritage.  These three churches with historical backgrounds became one body:

  • The Brooks Chapel Methodist Church in Millican, Texas was founded in 1866.
  • The Ewing Chapel Methodist Church was organized as a Sunday School in 1879.  Land was purchased on Jones Bridge Road that later became their home location.
  • The Orange Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church was founded in the early 1900’s in a school near Bryan, Texas.  On the land that was purchased in 1910, the new church was constructed in 1912 and renamed to Nelson Chapel Methodist Church.

FMC Photosmall.jpgBetween 1944 and 1945, members began moving and settling around the College Station area.  An acre of land was purchased on Highway 6 and First Methodist Church of College Station was born through the prayerful leadership of many strong clergy, laity, families, friends and community members who saw a vision for the future.

During a critical season of change and merger within in the Methodist Church, leadership explored the needs of all three churches to come together as one body to build a stronger church in College Station.  As April 1968 ushered in the birth of the United Methodist Church from the merger of the Evangelical United Brethren and The Methodist Churches, the churches within the Central Jurisdiction Conference were uniting with the General Church.  This was a time of great change and challenge that was guided by the prayers of many dedicated members.

In June 1968, what was once three worshipping churches became one collective body of believers to serve Jesus Christ in new ways known as First United Methodist Church of College Station.  During the years of 1974 through 1999, First United Methodist Church and Lee Chapel United Methodist Church in Bryan shared pastoral leadership as the Bryan-College Station Charge.

Preparing for a new future in 1999, First United Methodist Church began a new season of building, moving, and visioning through prayer.  After 30 years of great ministry on Texas Avenue, they were on the move again!  God continued blessing First United Methodist Church to build a new church in 2003.  Today, we continue building by faith on the shoulders of all who have come before us and plant new seeds for the body who will come in the future.  First United Methodist Church is the Church of Promise…thanks be to God.

Data provided by The History of First United Methodist Church – 2009 Homecoming Book